STRENGTHENING THE MASTERING OF NATURAL RESOURCES FOR NATIONAL WELFARE IN TAJIKISTAN
Central Asian regional cooperation project "Geo-Sector Information Management System Development and Capacity Building in Central Asian countries" was completed in December 2014 (duration 2011-2014). It was followed by a new project “Strengthening the mastering of natural resources for national welfare in Tajikistan” between the Main Department of Geology under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan (GUG) and the Geological Survey of Finland (GTK). The Mnistry for Foreign Affairs of Finland funds the new project until the end of 2018.
The overall objective of the cooperation is to improve the living standards and conditions for the population by supporting the efforts for strengthening of the national economy of Tajikistan through sustainable use of mineral resources and ensuring a safer living environment.
The project purpose focuses on developing the institutional capacity of GUG for better risk management in respect of geohazards, efficient monitoring of changes in groundwater resources due to climate and environmental changesaccompanied by modern geo-data collection, storage, and dissemination.
The project tasks include topics particularly prioritized by GUG for supporting the development of the agency and fulfilling project tasks. The topics are divided into following three subcomponents which are implemented as work packages (WPs):
- WP 1: Climate change and modern techniques
- Hydrogeology – water sampling techniques and interpretation
- Geohazards – new technology related to prediction of natural hazards at a regional scale
- Geophysics – geophysical survey for groundwater, environmental and rock engineering investigations
- WP 2: Strengthening of the geoinformation chain and distribution
- Digitizing, data management and storage of geoinformation
- Distribution of geoinformation – Geoportal
- WP 3: Regional aspects and administration